Translate

Friday, August 18, 2017

August 2017


Dear Fabulous Fifth-grader,
I can’t wait to get back into our classroom and start preparing for the new school year.  Teaching is my absolute favorite thing to do.  Don’t get me wrong- I love summer: the beach, barbecues and good books!  My porch is my favorite place in the summer, because it’s where I can curl up and read for hours in any kind of weather.  This summer I travelled to California to visit my son, and when you get this letter I should be in Acadia National Park in Maine. I hope to tell you all about it when we meet in September.

I am packing a couple of good books for my trip, but let me mention a great book I just finished.  It’s called Aleutian Sparrow by Karen Hesse.  The story is about a girl who is caught up in the upheaval of the Second World War.  Though there are many books set during WWII, this one takes place in Alaska’s Aleutian Islands. The Japanese invaded and occupied two of these remote volcanic islands seven months after the  attack on Pearl Harbor. Vera, the main character, along with the entire native population was sent to relocation centers in the dense forests of Southeastern Alaska.  Telling of little food, few medical supplies, and harsh, unfamiliar surroundings, the author brings us into a time and place few Americans even know about, let alone experience. You may have already guessed that my all time favorite genre is historical fiction.  It’s so exciting to me to be able to connect with the past while reading such a fascinating story. I look forward to hearing what your favorite books and genres are.  


If you have time I’d love to hear from you about what you are doing or what you are reading this summer.  You can e mail me at lee@bpsk12.org or you can send me a postcard at Fox Hill.  I’ll be in and out of school over the summer setting up our classroom.  I’d love to hear your suggestions about what makes a great classroom, too!

I know the idea of coming back to school makes some excited, and some- well- not so excited, but remember, you have so many cool activities and experiences to look forward to.   I am so happy I can be a part of making your last year at Fox Hill a super memorable one.  
Enjoy the rest of your summer! I can’t wait to meet you!


                                                                                  Sincerely,

                                                                                  Mrs. Lee

No comments: